1947 – A Training Centre Brings New Life

It was a stroke of luck for Schloss Drachenburg that in 1947 the German Rail Regional Office based in Wuppertal realised that the property could be used as a training centre and took out rent. The Art Gallery was restored, its roof was renewed and the original glazed wall on the park side was bricked up so that the Rhine side could be repaired as well. A made-to-scale signal box enhanced lessons here in the largest room of the castle. Other rooms were also put to training use while the Principal had his office in the Niebelung Room. But by 1960, the German Rail authorities had transferred the training premises and left Schloss Drachenburg.