1923 – The Social Commitment of an Industrialist

Hermann Flohr, who had previously lived as a tenant in the castle for some years, bought the Burghof by auction in 1921 and Schloss Drachenburg in 1923. The Cologne-based merchant and manufacturer placed several of the block houses at the disposal of the Women's Association of the German Red Cross for use as a convalescence home. In 1930 he decided to leave the entire property to a Catholic order. The interior furnishings was auctioned off and the Brothers of the Christian Schools, commonly known as the De La Salle Brothers, moved in a year later.