Private Floor

In contrast to the stately reception rooms on the ground floor, the second floor of the castle accommodated two self-contained private apartments. Facing north was the private apartment of castle owner Stephan von Sarter which consisted of a study, a dressing room, a bed room and a breakfast room. Facing south was the guests-of-honour suite reserved for special visitors to the castle and it consisted of a living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom. These two apartments were separated at the centre by the Music Room also used for social occasions. The rooms of the private apartments could be reached by corridors to the north and south. Moreover, it is from these corridors that the modest side staircases branch off – for use by staff to access and service all floors.

Despite their private character, the two apartments rated highly in terms of both quality and prestige. Only shortly after completion of the building in 1882, the writer Elise Polko was to enthuse about the romantic-styled “living and sleeping chambers” kept for guests of honour. Indeed, the firms commissioned to furnish the premises enjoyed the best reputation. The Parisian firm of Jouvenau, for example, supplied the palisander furniture for the study, dressing room and bedrooms while the Mainz-based firm of Bembé supplied the furniture to the breakfast room. When the castle was modified in the 1930s, all this furniture was auctioned off so that the apartments could be used as classrooms. The Music Room, however, retained its furniture and purpose.

One of the original items, a porcelain painting showing a facsimile of Rubens’s famous work Rape of the Daughters of Leucippus was re-acquired in 2002. At first, it had hung over the bed of the owner but, when the castle was sold in 1910, the second owner, J. H. Biesenbach, took it with him and later sold it himself.

Worthing singling out here are the wood-grained painted stucco ceilings of the rooms. The ultimate effect is ceilings made of wood. In parts, they have also been stencilled to give the appearance of inlay technique.

The last private owner, Paul Spinat, did not attempt to furnish the rooms in line with the original use or provide Wilhelmine-type furniture. Instead, the dressing room and study of the private apartment, which had been made into one room in the 1930s, were now renovated as a bedroom, as the Pompadour Room – including, it was claimed, Madame Pompadour’s bed. Today, though, following restoration on the basis of earlier descriptions and inventories, the rooms have been fitted with items of furniture from the time Schloss Drachenburg was built.

The rooms on this private floor are open for viewing as part of the guided tours.